Porcelain crowns with a metal alloy base have been used for years. But they lack the light transmission of natural teeth leaving the patient with a slightly gray result.
Porcelain crowns with a metal alloy base have been used for years. But they lack the light transmission of natural teeth leaving the patient with a slightly grey result. These metal crowns can cause gums to turn grey over time and may also be responsible for allergic reactions.
In recent years, healthier and more effective materials have been discovered that give patients a more satisfying result. As a result, the tissue-friendly material, zirconium, is now used in dentistry. Zirconium crowns now offer similar strength to the metallic alloy used in the past. Zirconia is translucent, does not discolour the gums, is non-allergenic and corrosion resistant, and has since become the first choice for dental restorations.
-WHEN ARE ZIRCONIA CROWNS RECOMMENDED?
- Aesthetic reasons to create a perfect smile
- To cover or replace the teeth with severe discolouration
- For the teeth resistant to "teeth bleaching" procedures
- As a treatment for genetic tooth colouration
- To correct 'diastema' or crooked teeth as an alternative to orthodontic treatment
- To restore decayed or previously filled teeth
- To fix a deformed tooth
- As a bridge or veneer for molars
- As an implant or an anterior prosthesis
- WHAT ARE THE AESTHETIC BENEFITS OF ZIRCONIA BRIDGES?
Due to the light transmittance properties of the zirconium material, the crown will have the same natural appearance as the patient's natural teeth. As the light passes through the enamel of the healthy teeth, the metallic base of traditional porcelain crowns creates an opaque, dull and artificial appearance to the teeth. Zirconia crowns eliminate these aesthetic problems.
- CAN ZIRCONIA BE USED FOR THOSE WITH ALLERGY TO METALS?
A zirconium crown does not contain any metal material so it will not cause any allergic reaction.
- WILL ZIRCONIA CROWNS CAUSE COLOR CHANGE IN THE FUTURE?
The polished and smooth surface of zirconia stone does not allow plaque build-up and discolouration caused by tea, coffee and smoking.