It covers functional disorders such as not fully opening the jaw joints, not opening at all, and dislocation as the jaw opens. The problem is solved by attempts such as repair of the joint, removal of the joint and creation of an artificial joint. It is a syndrome of pain and dysfunction involving the temporomandibular joint (TMJ, lower jaw joint) and / or chewing muscles.
The harmony between the joint surface and the disc is disturbed. Jaw joint disorders have affected a widespread population today.
- Causes of Lower Jaw Joint Function Disorders
- Direct trauma to the jaws or joint area (as a result of accident or impact)
- One-sided chewing habit
- Missing teeth
- Clenching and grinding teeth
- Stress, depression etc.
- Non-physiological tooth closure
- Developmental defects of the joint (hypoplasias etc.)
- Degenerative joint disorders, osteoarthritis, arthrosis
- Autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus
- How Do You Feel the Jaw Joint Disorder?
- There may be a stinging and severe pain in every swallowing, yawning, chewing, and speaking, as well as a constant and dull pain. The pain can be reflected in many places as well as in the area in front of the chin, where the joint is located. Pain can be reflected in the face, head, ear and jaw by causing spasm in the muscles that stick to the joint.
- Treatment Options
- Patient education and preventive treatment
- Splint treatment
- Psychiatric support
- Advanced treatments in late cases (Surgery, etc.)
- WHAT DO WE UNDERSTAND WHEN JAW DISEASES AND SURGERY ARE UTTERED?
Oral and Jaw Diseases and Surgery is a branch of surgery related to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries and disorders related to the mouth, teeth and jaws of dentistry.
- WHAT ARE THESE DISEASES AND DISORDERS?
It covers very common subjects such as mainly tooth extraction, the treatment of jaw joints, treatment of cleft lips and palate, treatment of jaw fractures, treatment of jaw-face anomalies, treatment of abscesses, cysts and tumors in the jaw, treatment of precancerous structures seen in the soft tissues of the mouth and gums, implant applications, preparation of the mouth with prosthesis, pre-prosthesis surgery, surgical extraction of embedded teeth.
- WHAT KIND OFDISORDERS ARE SEEN AT JAW JOINTS? HOW IS THE TREATMENT?
The number of people with pain in the jaw joint area or joint dysfunction is higher than expected. During mouth opening and closing, there is a different sound in the joint, problems such as pain in eating, problems such as pain in eating, difficulty opening mouth in the morning, being unable to open at all, and inability to close their teeth are observed.Treatment depends on the agent. For example, if the discomfort is due to teeth grinding, special plates are made or a low energy level laser is applied. Various medications are given.